All current Media Information – including top quality photo material – is freely available for downloading.

Rezidor and prizeotel launch joint hotel project in Bern (Switzerland)

Publisher: Rezidor Hotel Group,

Late 2019 will see the opening of the first hotel in Switzerland by the Germany-based prizeotel group. The new hotel will comprise 188 rooms and be located at the former Swiss Post headquarters at Viktoriastrasse in Bern. The project is the group's first joint venture with the Belgium-based Rezidor Hotel Group, which this year acquired a 49 percent stake in the prizeotel economy design chain. The Bern project highlights the ambitious expansion strategy which Rezidor and prizeotel plan to pursue in Switzerland.

It's a major development which will have far-reaching impact on the hotel industry in Switzerland – and in Bern in particular. The opening of the new prizeotel in three years' time will see the number of guestrooms in the Swiss capital increase by 188. And it will be the largest hotel in the city. The German economy design chain currently operates three city-centre properties in Hamburg, Bremen and Hanover totalling 555 rooms. In close cooperation with the Rezidor Hotel Group, prizeotel plans to pursue an ambitious growth strategy in Switzerland, a priority target market for short-to-medium term brand development together with expansion in Germany, Austria and the Benelux countries.

prizeotel founder and CEO Marco Nussbaum says: "The pioneering project in Bern is the first resulting from our promising new partnership with Rezidor. We are convinced of the importance of the Swiss market. By combining design, technical innovation, top location and very attractive prices, our aim is to create a niche market not only in Bern but also other Swiss cities – a market with the potential to attract high demand."

Proprietor and lessor of the Bern property is the Swiss Prime Site real estate company, a contractual partner which for the first time does not originate from the direct business circle of prizeotel. Connor Ryterski, prizehotel Head of Development, will be responsible for the project development with Swiss Prime Site: "In signing this agreement in Bern we have now exceeded the 1000 guestroom mark. In addition to our existing hotels, we are already expanding the prizeotel in Hamburg City with a further 177 rooms and are currently constructing a prizeotel in Hamburg-St.Pauli (257 rooms). Together with the new 188 rooms in Bern, our total is now 1177."

Rezidor expansion strategy in Switzerland
The Brussels-based Rezidor Hotel Group is fully convinced of the strategic value of its cooperation with prizeotel. Rezidor Group President and CEO Wolfgang M. Neumann explains: “We are delighted to partner with prizeotel, an entrepreneurial and creative economy brand. It ideally complements our own compelling brand portfolio currently ranging from mid-scale to luxury, and facilitates our responsiveness to the evolving needs of our guests."  The Rezidor Hotel Group this year purchased a 49% stake in prizeotel, with the option of acquiring the remaining 51% in four years' time. Elie Younes, Executive VP and Chief Development, is also confident for the future: "The joint venture in Bern heralds the start of our ambitious expansion strategy throughout Switzerland, coupled with   higher added value. 

All prizeotels are created by New York-based star designer Karim Rashid. The brand concept embraces urban design, innovative and guest-friendly technology (including free high-speed Internet, mobile check-in), modern design and unconventional service for business and leisure and guests – and with room rates starting from 59 Euros per night.

Further information and photo material:

PrimCom
Sophie Grüber
T: +41 44 421 41 26
s.grueber@primcom.com

Rezidor Hotel Group
Martin Melzer
M: +49 69 976 932 460
martin.melzer@carlsonrezidor.com

prizeotel
Franziska Mettenheimer
M: +49 421 2222 307
public-relations@prizeotel.com

Back

FEINHEIT Grafik Zürich – CI/CD, Webdesign, Flash, Webshop, XHTML/CSS